Learn to swim
Why Learn to Swim at ANGUSalive?
ANGUSalive manages a Learn to Swim programme, providing swimming tuition for children (from 5 years upwards) across Angus.
The programme follows the Scottish Swimming Framework which enables your child to:
- Take part in swimming lessons recognised by the Scottish national governing body for swimming
- Work through exciting and progressive stages
- Receive Scottish Swimming Awards Scheme certificates
- Continue to develop the confidence that learning to swim can bring
Children move through our progressive pathway from Swim Skills 1–4 to Club Ready, learning the basic skills through to water competence and technical efficiency. Please see below for details.
Swim Skills 1 (A and B)
To develop water confidence and core aquatic skills without aids.
- Develop confidence and ability to perform a wide range of core aquatic skills without buoyancy aids
- Develop the basic technique of the four strokes. Introduce the basic technique of sculling
- Develop balance and buoyancy through a variety of activities
Swim Skills 2 (A and B)
To increase the competency of the core aquatic skills and develop basic stroke technique.
- Introduce and progress new core aquatic skills
- Develop stroke technique to include all four strokes
- Introduction to diving (pool permitting)
- Develop awareness and feel for the water through a variety of core aquatic skills
Swim Skills 3
Introduce more advanced stroke technique and achieve Triple S standard.
- Further develop competency in all four strokes
- Development of diving
- Further develop butterfly and breaststroke aiming to achieve legal technique
Swim Skills 4
To improve the quality of stroke technique, introduce multi-aquatic skills/disciplines and basic lifesaving skills.
- To demonstrate competent technique in all four strokes
- Introduce lifesaving skills and basic aquatic discipline skills
- To provide basic skills to enable progression in to all aquatic disciplines including lifesaving
To improve and maintain stroke technique over distance and develop basic training and race skills producing a swimmer who is ready to progress to a swimming club.
- Increase swimming stamina in all four strokes while maintaining technique
- Improve efficiency in all four strokes
- Develop turn technique for all four strokes
- Knowledge and understanding of club training practices in a variety of core aquatic skills
Learn to Swim Memberships
Find the perfect membership for your swimming development.